Published on November 6, 2023, 12:43 am
Getting a toned and fabulous body requires more than just a healthy diet – it also requires a dedicated workout routine. While losing fat from certain areas of the body may be easier, targeting back flab can be a challenge. Back fat can be stubborn, especially for women who may experience saggy or excess skin around their bra strap area or even fat under their armpits.
According to experts, a sedentary lifestyle and hormonal imbalances could contribute to this problem. However, making changes to your fitness regimen can help you reduce bra bulge and tone your back. So, let’s take a look at some effective exercises recommended by fitness expert Sonia Bakshi:
1. Wall Push-Ups: This exercise targets muscles in your upper back and arms. Stand facing a wall with your palms flat against it at shoulder height, slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Bend your elbows and bring your chest closer to the wall, then push back to the starting position. Aim for 3 sets of 12-15 repetitions.
2. Floor Push-Ups: Floor push-ups not only burn calories but also strengthen the upper body. Begin in a plank position with your hands shoulder-width apart. Lower your chest toward the floor while keeping your body in a straight line, then push back up. Start with 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions and gradually increase as you progress.
3. Pull-Ups: This is a more challenging exercise that primarily targets the muscles in your upper back. Find a sturdy horizontal bar or use a pull-up bar at the gym. Hang from the bar with your palms facing away from your body and hands shoulder-width apart. Pull yourself up until your chin is above the bar, then lower yourself down. Aim for 3 sets of 5-8 repetitions to build strength.
4. Side Planks: Side planks work the muscles on the sides of your body, helping to tone your back and improve stability. Lie on your side with your elbow directly under your shoulder and legs stacked on top of each other. Lift your hips off the ground, creating a straight line from your head to your feet. Hold the position for 20-30 seconds on each side, gradually increasing the time.
5. Bent Over Dumbbell Rows: This exercise targets the middle and upper back muscles. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand. Bend at the waist while keeping your back straight and let the dumbbells hang in front of you. Pull the dumbbells towards your hips, squeezing your shoulder blades together. Perform 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions.
6. Planks with Lateral Arm Raise: Planks are fantastic for strengthening your core and back muscles, but you can make them even more effective for reducing bra bulge by adding a lateral arm raise. Begin in a forearm plank position, then raise one arm out to the side, keeping it parallel to the ground. Alternate between arms for 3 sets of 12-15 repetitions.
Additionally, incorporating cardio exercises like skipping or jumping jacks into your routine can help burn excess fat and tone your entire body, including your back.
Yoga can also be a beneficial addition to your exercise routine. The cat-cow pose helps improve flexibility and strengthens the muscles in your back. Start on your hands and knees, arching your back like a cat, then drop your belly and lift your head like a cow. Flow between these positions for 3 sets of 12-15 repetitions.
With regular practice of these exercises, you can reduce bra bulge and tone your back effectively. Start incorporating them into your workout routine today! Remember to consult with a fitness expert or trainer if you have any underlying health conditions or concerns.
Aayushi Gupta is a health writer specializing in topics related to diet, fitness, beauty, and intimate health. With around 2 years of experience in the wellness industry, she connects with leading experts and doctors to provide factually correct information to our readers.