Published on November 4, 2023, 12:43 am
When it comes to losing weight, many people believe that skipping meals is the way to go. However, according to nutritionist Anjali Mukerjee, this approach is not effective for weight loss. In fact, she suggests that eating frequent and small meals throughout the day is more beneficial in achieving your weight loss goals.
While there are various diet trends and strategies like intermittent fasting and calorie counting, experts agree that portion control is one of the most popular and effective ways to manage your weight. Portion control refers to making sure that the amount of food you eat for each meal is not too large, especially when you are trying to lose weight. It can be a helpful tool in your weight loss journey.
Anjali explains that studies have shown that eating frequent mini-meals throughout the day helps prevent a slowing down of your metabolism, reduces hunger pangs, optimally fuels your body, and positively impacts cholesterol and insulin levels. This emphasizes the importance of portion control in maintaining a healthy weight.
“In the world of nutrition, it is a known fact that you should burn more calories than you consume to lose weight and fat. And how can one achieve this? By portion control and optimal meal frequency,” writes Anjali.
Dr. Garima Goyal, another nutritionist, also highlights the significance of portion control in managing weight gain. “Portion size is a key driver of energy intake and also impacts the weight of a person. Therefore, measuring and controlling portion size has become crucial for controlling (and not gaining) weight,” she explains.
To help with adopting portion control as part of your diet routine for weight loss, Anjali suggests some easy mini-meal options:
1. 1 cup of soya milk with almonds.
2. Half a sandwich made with 1 slice of whole wheat bread filled with shredded chicken, cucumber, tomato with chutney or paneer.
3. 1 bowl of moong sprouts with salad.
4. A handful of peanuts with chana (chickpeas) in a 1:1 ratio.
5. Substitute your regular rotis with wheat bran rotis and reduce the number to half your usual intake.
6. 1 toast with a 2-egg white omelette or one full egg omelette.
7. Choose one fruit, such as an apple, orange, sweet lime, 20 cherries, or 1 bowl of watermelon.
8. A bowl of dal (lentils) or curd (yogurt) with salad.
By implementing portion control and incorporating these mini-meal options into your diet routine, you can effectively manage your weight loss journey.
Remember, it is important to consult with a nutritionist or healthcare professional before making any significant changes to your diet. They can provide personalized advice based on your specific needs and goals.
Sources: Indian Express