Whether you’re a small business, an entrepreneur, or an independent contractor, sooner or later, you’re going to need to handle your bookkeeping. If you’re the type of business owner to handle your books, services like QuickBooks or XERO would be the perfect fit.
The reality is that most business owners rather focus on running their business and don’t have the time, patience, and sometimes the knowledge to do their bookkeeping. They’ll either hire a professional bookkeeper or outsource this aspect of their business to an online bookkeeping service company.
This is what I want to focus on in this article. In 2018, what are the best options available for you and your business? I’ve narrowed the choices to just five companies that are combining technology + a human to handle your books. Each of these companies offers something unique and different, and depending on what you’re looking for, one of them might be a good fit.
Online Bookkeeping Services for those on a tight budget:
If you are a small business on a budget, Merritt Bookkeeping is the right company for you. They’ve been in business since 2009 and are located in San Diego, California. According to their website, they serve hundreds of small businesses across the US.
Why Merritt Bookkeeping?
- Pricing: $150 per month | No Setup Fees
- Catch-Up Bookkeeping: Yes, $100 per month (If you contact them in July, they will do your bookkeeping from January to June for $100 per month, then in July, you will be charged $150 per month
- Software: They will manage your books with QuickBooks Online
- Highlight: They will pay your bills for you
- Disadvantage: They will not invoice your customers for you
Conclusion: Merritt Bookkeeping has been in business for almost ten years, and no doubt you can imagine they’ve helped different types of businesses, in other words, they’ve seen it all. Their service is pretty straightforward, which can bring you peace of mind if you don’t want any surprises at the end of the month.
Online Bookkeeping services with tax and payroll option
Bookly is located in Salt Lake City, Utah, and they’ve been in business since 2013. If you’re a small business owner who needs a little more attention, tax, and payroll help, then Bookly is your go-to company.
- Pricing: Unknown
- Catch-Up Bookkeeping: Unknown
- Software: Upon registering, you will be presented with their internal software. You’ll be able to link your bank/credit card accounts.
- Highlight: They will handle your business and tax preparation, along with audit support. If you have employees, you can expect them to help you out with payroll as well. They will provide you with a dedicated team to help you with your bookkeeping.
- Disadvantage: Their pricing was not readily available on their website, which gives the impression that they could be very expensive.
Conclusion: You can’t go wrong with a company that will offer you tax and payroll services along with handling your books. The advantage here is that everything is under one roof.
Online Bookkeeping Services for startups, small & seasoned businesses
Akuracy is the youngest of these online bookkeeping services. Founded in 2015, they offer a wide variety of services specifically designed for your niche. They’re located in Los Angeles, California, and offer their services across the US.
- Pricing: Free Trial for 14 days |Starter| $165 per month; Basic| $195 per month; Premium | $375 per month
- Catch-Up Bookkeeping: Yes, First month free, $150 after that.
- Software: They use their own software. You have the option to link your accounts to their dashboard; this way, they will be able to download all your transactions for reconciliation.
- Highlight: Whichever plan you choose, you’ll have your own personal bookkeeping. In addition to that, they offer a robust credit control service. They will invoice your customers and collect on your behalf and also process 1099s. They will communicate with your CPA if you have one or refer you to one.
- Disadvantage: They will not file your taxes but will connect you with their preferred tax partner for that aspect of their service.
Conclusion: Akuracy specializes in real estate bookkeeping, trucker bookkeeping, small business bookkeeping, restaurant bookkeeping, construction bookkeeping, and retail store bookkeeping. From the looks of it, whatever your niche is, they’ll be able to handle your books.
It comes down to what you’re looking for and what you’re comfortable with. Each of these companies brings something unique and different. What they all provide is a personal bookkeeper who will handle your books.
As mentioned previously, many business owners are not going to spend their time doing their books. It’s nice to know there are companies out there, positioning themselves to be an extension of your bookkeeping team.
If you’re on a tight budget, go with Akuracy or Merritt Bookkeeping. If you’re looking for additional services like Taxes and Payroll, then go with Bookly. Keep in mind, however, that you may end up paying a lot more.